TRIUMPH STAG

PROJECTS ARCHIVE

TRIUMPH STAG

The workshop saw the arrival of a Triumph Stag for a full restoration.

Another Stag joins the workshop for a full restoration

First we started to strip down the car for the repairs. As the car was stripped items broken or in need of refurbishing/replacing were noted. The nearside front floor-pan was the first section to be removed. Repairs were carried out to the outrigger and hidden areas painted before the new floor-pan was welded into place. The sills were stripped back and revealed deep filler and also rotten areas. Work started removing the nearside sill for replacement. Before the new sill could be fitted an area of the floor to sill where it had corroded was replaced. The internal sections of the sill were painted and the new sill trial fitted before welding. The nearside outrigger was repaired along with the bottom of the nearside door which was then re-skinned. Areas are painted internally before refitting to prevent rust.

The near side inner arch was replaced and painted before the new wing was fitted. A section of the nearside lower quarter panel was also replaced.

Work started on the nearside of the car with the replacement of the floor-pan. The sill was also removed and a new item prepared to be fitted. A new rear arch was also fitted after areas behind are treated. A new boot floor being next to be fitted.

We then repaired the off side door and fitted a new door skin. The front panel also had repair work, removing the top panel to gain access to the lower panel all areas painted for protection before refitting.

Panel work completed we then moved on to starting the filler work. While filler work was being completed the engine was stripped down ready for the engine shop.

The interior and engine bay were prepped ready for primer. The car then moved to the booth for a coat of epoxy primer before being placed on a roll over jig to clean off the underside. As underseal was removed some small areas were fabricated and welded in. The car then moved to the booth to be seam sealed and the underside coated in Raptor treatment before the shell had its two pack primer coat. Once prepared the car moved to the booth to have the interior of the tub and the engine bay painted. Panels now moved to the booth to have the top coat applied to the undersides.

Things in the paint shop then moved on with the top coat applied to the shell and the panels in a Rover Tahiti blue metallic. We then started the engine rebuild and also started work on the interior re-trim with a colour change from black to beige.

The shell visited the booth again this time for a “flow coat” a second lacquer coat that really brings out the depth of the colour.

As we started the refit the engine and gearbox were fitted along with many new ancillaries and some tasteful upgrades. Bumpers, lights and chrome-work followed.

The interior received attention with a new dash, new carpets, the refurbished seats and new classic style radio.

Refit complete the car received and MOT and was handed over to the customer. Its first outing to be a local classic car show.